FAILING A CLASS IN NURSING SCHOOL
Failing a class is common. Not just in school, but in college and universities in general. But the thing is when you fail a class in Nursing School, you’re pushed an entire semester behind.
Failing that semester was one of the lowest points in my life. I had never failed any class in my life before. But failing taught me a lot and I’m going to share some tips to overcome failure.
What Happened with Me
I had done pretty well with the first semester of nursing school, so I wasn’t nervous for second semester. I underestimated the semester. I should have mentally prepared myself more in advanced
What I should have done?
In my school, you have to pass 60% of the whole papers you wrote in an exam, then you will be able to resit the 40%. If you pass any thing 5o and below, you will have to repeat the semester. We wrote 6 papers that semester and I passed three and failed three.
What I should have done right away is start reading early in the semester. Talk to someone for advice, tell my family that I wasn't in a good place to write that exam. Your advisor can offer suggestions on how to do better on the next test, studying tips, and what’s the most important topics in the chapter. It’s so important to have a relationship with someone (student or tutor) so they know your drive and personality, but you need to talk to them in the beginning and not at the end of the semester.
What to do after failing your first test?
First, you need to reflect.
Did you study enough?
Did you change your answers on the test?
Did you understand the content?
Then you need to change your habits.
You can ask a classmate how they prepared for the exam.
You can watch videos about the class on youtube.
But you need to switch up for the next exam
Dropping a class or failing?
You have to be realistic. I dont want this to sound like an excuse or anything but I lost My father halfway through the semester (lowest of my whole life) and because of that mental/emotional instability I had to be admitted to the hospital two weeks to exam, after I was discharged my family thought I couldn't write exam at that moment for obvious reason, and reported to the school but they said I will have to write it or automatically repeat the semester. So I decided to take the risk and continue in the course. At this point it was looking possible for me to still pass.
I should have just rest and repeat the semester? Lol NO!!! i'm glad i've tried The next exam comes and I scored well!
I did not start studying early (as always) not knowing what will befall me, which was a MISTAKE. I lost my father the week I started reading.
I don’t think I would have actually passed the exam whether my father was there or not, but I definitely would have scored higher. Every point matters when you’re on the borderline of passing and failing.
Why failing a class isn't the end of the world
I studied night and day for this exam. I needed 4papers to pass the exam so I could resit the other two. That was what i'm aiming for and I knew I could pass! But I ended up getting an 50% which is 3papers out of 6 and failed the exam.
School should always be your top priority. You need to put in the majority of your time into nursing school to receive the best outcomes.
Failure humbled me. I never thought I would fail. But failing isn’t the end of the world. It’s okay that you failed a class. Your life will go on, and you will still be a nurse.
How will failing a class affect GPA?
Someone asked me about this but I really dont know, cos we are not doing the GPA system in my school. If anyone knows how it works please share in the comment section. Thank you.
What to do when you're retaking a class
Even though you’ve already learned the information, take the class just as serious the second time. Try to keep a positive attitude. When I repeated my course, I was sent to hospital for more clinicals. I gained real-world experience while still performing well in school. Even though it cliche, failing the class was a minor setback for a major comeback! Alhamdulillah
FAILING A CLASS DOES NOT MAKE YOU A FAILURE!!!
Thank you for coming to the blog and for reading this post!!!! I hope it help someone in their nursing journey
Let me know what you think about this post and share your own nursing school experiences with me in the comment down below or send an email. I will like to hear from you!!!!
DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE BLOG!!!!
Read you soon in my next blog💜💜💜




Comments
Post a Comment